Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dear Mother,
My master is horrible, he beats all of the slaves and I have been beat too. I am forced to pick cotton and work for that stupid man. Even though my master's horrible, his wife is kind and whenever someone is whipped really badly, she will help them apply medicine and always says soothing words. I am hoping that she will send this letter to you and please don't be worried, I will try to escape soon. I am setting up a plan to escape. Even if the master’s wife sees this she won't become angry and she will still send the letter. She actually wants us to escape, but is frightened that if she helps a slave she will be sent to jail or worst, executed. This master is unruly and just sits around on his horse all day while we work.

I work on the fields picking cotton while others work the cotton gin. Picking the cotton is really hard work and I get blisters from doing it. When I hear the name cotton I would usually think about something soft, but while picking it, it is the hardest thing in the world.

Today in the field's he threw a rock at a young boy who was tired and sat down. It hit him in the head and he was bleeding so much. I ran up to the master and I punched him in the face. He got up with a red face and picked up his whip. He tied me on this wooden plank and started to whip me. The pain was unbearable and even wearing a shirt hurts. He gave me so many lashes that I couldn't even count them. It felt like forever until he stopped.

Oh and right after I was bought by this man, he took this bar of iron with some kind of symbol on it and tied me up. Then he put the hard iron onto my back. I was trying to tear free from the rope so I could kill him, but I couldn't. After he was finished he let me go and I was about to hit him, but I know the law and what he would do to me. He told me he burned his ownership on my back. Does he think he owns me? Watch I will escape and fight for my rights! I know where I have to go and I won’t stop until I get there. I'm going to Canada!

Love,
Alexander

1 comment:

Ms. Sackstein said...

Great letter, Lawrence. However, it needs to be broken up and proofread. It's very hard to get through as it is written. Please print a copy and we can go through it together in a conference.