Friday, May 16, 2008

The Escape

This post is a skit on the escape of Alexander.

Alexander: I'm tired of this wretched place. I am going to escape tonight.

Rennie: You’re leaving? You can't leave!

Alexander: I'm sorry friend, but I'm leaving no matter what.

Rennie: "Sigh" If you have to then be careful because if the master catches you, you’re as good as dead. I suggest you escape to the Underground Railroad. There will be people to help you. While I was delivering something the master told me too, I overheard these men talking about there being safe houses where white and black men and women will help and let you stay in there homes.

Alexander: How will I know if it's a safe house?

Rennie: I wasn't finished. Every safe house has a lamp on a hitch. A home with that on it is a safe house.

Alexander: Thank you my friend. Will you join me?

Rennie: I'm sorry, but I'm not taking that risk and I don't think you should either, but I don't want to interfere with your thoughts and I have no right too.

Alexander: Thank you and I hope you find happiness one day. I am leaving tonight and I'm not going to say good bye, so I will now.

*When it finally became night, Alexander sneaks out and steadily walks, afraid to make noise. He gets past the guard dogs and avoids the sleeping master’s ears. As soon as he jumps the fence in the fields, he starts to run at full speed.*

Alexander: *Pant* I can’t keep running like this. Just keep going Alex. As soon as you reach the forest, you can rest.

*So Alexander continues his running towards the forest and as soon as he reaches the forest, he stops running when he was at a safe distance inside and decided to rest.

Alexander: If I don't get some rest now, I might not be able to get through another day.

*Afterwards, Alexander decides to build shelter somewhere. He had learned how to build shelter from his father and lucky for him, it was a warm time of the year. Alex started ripping big branches with there leaves off of the trees around him and soon he had a pile of leaved branches. Then he took big sticks and made a triangular shape this them and dug them into the ground. He then took the leaves and piled them on top of the sticks for protection. He also put lots of leaves inside the shelter, so it would be comfortable.

Alexander: Even though this bed is made of leaves, it feels like the softest bed in the world. I'm so tired and my feet ache so much.

*As Alexander rubbed his feet, he started to drift and so he left his feet alone and went to sleep.*

*Dogs barking*

Alexander: What's going on? Are those dogs? Oh no! I got to get going now!

*Slave hunters were out looking for him and he knew it. Quickly he got up and started to run. Before he ran far a hand reached out from behind a bush and pulled him in. Alex tried to fight him. The man smelled like dung.*

Strange man: Stop moving, I'm trying to help you. Relax

*The man took a can out of a pouch around his waist and opened it.

Alexander: What is that! It smells like wolverine dung.

Strange man: That's because it is. It will help hide your sent from the dogs and even if they smell you, they will stay away.

*Alexander closes his eyes as the man wipes the gunk stuff all over him, and soon, just as the man said, the dogs left along with the humans and didn't even come close to the place they were hiding.*

Alexander: Thank you very much.

Strange man: My name is Renjie. I help as one of the Underground Railroad conductors. You know you shouldn't be out in the morning, because that's when the slave hunters will be looking for you. Stay low in the morning and travel at night. Come with me, I'll give you shelter and help you across the Underground Railroad.

Alexander: Thank you so much. I don't know what to say. Why is it that you risk your life to save ours?

Renjie: I don't think it's right for humans to be treated that way, and I'm fighting for the freedom of slaves.

*As Renjie walked Alexander to his home for shelter, the man told him the story of when he was a slave and how he escaped.

Renjie: There are many white conductors as well and they are all trust worthy. I am one of the few black conductors. I was once a slave, when the Underground Railroad didn't escape and I had escaped over a frozen lake with a stolen horse from my master. I took the horse and rode it. The bad thing about the horses was that they kept slipping, but I was really lucky the ice was thick enough to hold my horse and my weight. We traveled at night and slept in the morning and soon I was at a free state, but I still had to lay low because they will send you back if they found you. I just kept going, until I got to Canada, the Free State that allowed you to be free and didn't send you back if they found you.
*After Renjie finished his story, they got to his house which was nice and large. He fed him some delicious soup and meat. Alexander ate happily for this was his first meal in two days.*

Alexander: This is delicious. Thank you very much.

Renjie: It's no problem and don't worry about it. The Underground Railroad is the source of many lives in this world. Thank the man who made it, Isaac T. Hopper the creator of the Underground Railroad.

*Renjie lived alone and had no kids. He was actually pretty lonely and that's because his old wife left him for helping slaves because she was afraid that he would be caught and killed. After Alexander finished eating Renjie lead Alexander to a hidden room with a doorway that was hardly noticeable. There was a small crack that was the only was to tell if there was a room or not. There was a string attached to it that came out of the end of the wall. The door was a slide door. When Renjie opened the door Alexander went in and thanks Renjie for his help and then goes to sleep.

No comments: